Monday, January 31, 2011

What's the Best Snowrake?

I received the following email
a few days ago:


I’m a new homeowner and we've had
in excess of 50 inches of snow this month
in Connecticut, the worst ever …

I have read your step-by-step
instructions on how to rake a
roof, but what type of snow rake
would you recommend?

Thank you for your assistance.    


This is a common question I really
don't have an answer to. I, myself,
bought a snowrake from the local
hardware store and have no idea
what brand it was. I purchased my
snowrake, which is an aluminum pole
with a plastic rake head, years ago.

Three things you may wish to
consider:

  1. How far do you need to reach
    to get to the snow? The pole has
    to at least be that long
  2. Can the size of the pole be
    adjusted? My snowrake is adjustable
    by adding or taking away a pole.
  3. Is the head of the rake metal or
    some other material? While a metal roof
    rake head is rugged, it can damage your
    shingles somewhat if you are not careful.

By the way: My roof rake is actually constructed
of two roof rake kits. This is because our
roof is so far from the ground, in some places,
that I need to extend the length of the rake
to 3 poles rather than use the 1 or 2 poles that
came with the original roof rake kit.

Back to the original question: Do I know
what is the best roof rake? Do I know if
one roof rake is better than the other?
I don't know. I'm just a guy who rakes his
own roof.

If anyone has a snowrake recommendation,
would you post it below?

Thanks! It a wonderful thing, extending
my knowledge of roof rakes, by asking
people who know more than I do. Much
appreciated.

Ed Abbott

3 comments:

  1. I saw this just the other day and was wondering about buying one...
    http://www.minnsnowta.com/roofrazor1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks cjdutil,

    Here's the same link in a clickable format:

    MINNSNOWTA ROOF RAZOR®

    I know nothing about the above roof rake. Just doing my best to pass along information. I have no basis for recommending or not recommending this roof rake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This winter around here in New England the best recommendation for a snow rake is whatever you can find at your local hardware store - because you will probably have a hard time finding one!

    ReplyDelete